Baby Story Time met for the first time in February, on Thursday, February 21 at 10:30 AM with Ms. Tegan (that's me!) and a small group. A fun time was had by all as we explored the theme of Like and Love! For a short time after Story Time, I opened up Play Place and everyone had some time to play and chat.
Baby Story Time at Blue Bell is a story time session geared specifically toward babies (ages 6 months to 23 months). We'll read stories, sing songs, chant rhymes, and play with baby! Baby Story Time is also an event for parents and caregivers to learn about early literacy skills to help prepare baby for reading as well as to help foster a love of reading.
Our next session will be Thursday, February 28 at 10:30 AM. Be sure to sign up to save your seat as spaces are limited (10 babies max).
What We Read
- I Kissed the Baby by Mary Murphy. (this was a request from another library)
-Various animal friends talk about how they cared for the baby!
- I Like It When -Me Gusta Cuando by Mary Murphy ; [translated by F. Isabel Campoy and Alma Flor Ada] - JJ BOARD MUR
A little penguin tells parent penguin all of the things he likes.
- Mommy Hugs / by Karen Katz. - JJ KAT
Counting book of 10 great hugs for baby from Mommy. There is a Daddy version as well.
- Spoke a rhyme about eyes, ears, nose, and mouth while point to the body part.
- Bounce rhyme called "Up, Up, Up!"
- Clapped, waved, and hugged as part of a "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" adaptation.
- Sang my favorite opening and closing songs: "If You'd Like to Hear a Story" and "The More We Get Together.'
Early Literacy Tip
- Background Knowledge – Repetition is important. Sometimes I talk about introducing new words, but repetition is just as important. As your child discovers more books, he or she will have a favorite. When you get tired of the favorite, remember that you are helping to reinforce concepts and words, which help build a stronger knowledge base for children as they grow and learn.